What do I do about a water / sewer line break?

Contact the Department of Public works at (740) 593-7636.  If after hours, follow the prompts to reach the Water or Wastewater Treatments Plants. Do not send an email. If the water flow poses a potential obstruction to traffic or flooding risk seems dangerous, In the event that you see any of the following:

  • Water flowing heavily from the ground or a manhole cover when it has not been raining
  • Water seeping from a water meter
  • Water flowing from a fire hydrant when it has not been activated
  • Your faucets don’t run or toilets don’t fill with water after flushing

Show All Answers

1. What do I do about a water / sewer line break?
2. How can I be notified about a boil order?
3. How do I get a sewer / water tap installed at my residence?
4. Where can I request a street closure or the movement of a dumpster?
5. My car was damaged by a pothole on a street maintained by the city. Can I receive compensation for the repair?
6. I am having concrete work done and am interested in curb by my residence that meets city code. Am I eligible for reimbursement?
7. I am moving in or out of Athens; how do I activate/deactivate my water?
8. How can I dispose of my yard waste?
9. Can I dump brush at the city annex?
10. What do I do about a downed tree?
11. Can I get loads of wood chips from the city?
12. There is a dead animal in a city roadway. What should I do?
13. There is a downed power line in the road way. What should I do?
14. How do I dispose of dead leaves in the fall?